Wednesday 5 September 2012

Family – Ugh!

As you guys might have gathered (have you been faithful readers of mine) I am blessed with family members all over the world. I've gotten to live in various countries, with family members close and sometimes closer. I have been able to travel to various places and I've been exposed to all variety of cultural and traditional happenings, that has done nothing but enriched my spirits and my disposition to life. Fantastic.

Last Sunday I flew to Iceland, the place I think I travel to the most. Once, twice a year, minimum. My need to breath the air where I was born seem to be an innate feeling that can't be discarded. But interestingly, I've noticed, that as soon as I land and I'm driving into the capital I feel tremendously satiated and I realize if someone would order me (good luck with that!) to turn around right this instant and go back home, it would not bother me the least. Funny.

Maybe I also like to come back here periodically to pay tribute to the country that gave me my passport, that heavenly blue passe-partout. In my 32 years of living, studying, working and general breathing in these various countries, I have never encountered any problems as long as I've waived this master key of a blue booklet. Not even when we accidentally drove into Switzerland on our way through the continent, with the car plenty of illegal substances and an Eastern European hitch-hiker in the back seat, did we get into trouble (tip: talk about Icelandic horses, the best distraction). Helps to have big eyes, just as blue as the Icelandic passport. Freaky.

But, regardless of my initial reasons coming here, I cannot disregard the fact that I am in the very place where the majority of my kinsfolk is to be found. The very humans, among 7 billion other humans, that have the same nucleic acid chain as mine, the descent that resulted in me, my blood, my tribe, my parents, my siblings, my grandparents. Family.

Which brings me to today's uncomfortable topic: Relations & Ships

Example: the only thing me and Grams can agree upon, and we've covered a wide range of topics, is that her bathroom scale shows 2 kilos too much. And when every other subject of discussion comes crumbling down on us like boulders, and we cannot even agree upon the weather, we go back to the fact that the bathroom scale is up. Fucked up.

No comments:

Post a Comment